Nellim is called the meeting place for three cultures for good reason. Indeed, in the 1920s and 1930s, the original inhabitants of the area, the Inari Sami people, were joined by Finnish loggers and Petsamo’s Skolts. The village of Nellim is close to the Russian border, on the southeastern corner of Lake Inarijärvi, about 40 kilometres from Ivalo.
Local sights in Nellim
The renovated flume is the perfect day trip site for the whole family. The venue is accessible by car, or by the signposted path leading from Paksuvuono. There is also a lean-to shelter and a fireplace.
Nellim served as a major logging site in the 1930s and after WWII. In 1929, Atif Forestry Company commissioned a flume to cover the lower rapids of Keskimöjärvi all the way to Nellimjärvi. From there, the logs would be transported to Inarinjärvi, and finally along the River Paatsjoki to a sawmill located beside the Arctic Ocean in Elven, Norway.
Nellim Orthodox Church
Nellim’s Orthodox church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and the memory of Trifon Petsamolainen. Built in 1987 as a prayer room, the church was consecrated by Metropolitan Bishop Leo a year later. The design of the church is based on the old part of the Petsamo convent church. The church is a reformation church, which is also used for Evangelical-Lutheran services.
Tsarmitunturi Wilderness Area
Tsarmitunturi wilderness area is a remote fell and forest area in between the Russian border and the roads from Ivalo to Nellim and to Raja-Jooseppi. The highland of Tsarmitunturi and Akalauttapää Fells are surrounded by untouched, old northern forests. In fact, Finland’s northernmost continuous spruce forest can be found here. There are no marked trails in Tsarmitunturi wilderness area, and therefore it is only suitable for independent hikers and hunters.