CORONA INFO FOR TRAVELLERS
Here in the northernmost Lapland we have plenty of space for your to enjoy the vast open landscapes – to take deep breaths of the fresh and clean area. To relax and enjoy the freedom of time and space.
To keep your mind calm and feeling safe while on holiday remember to follow the health and safety recommendations and guidelines of the authorities and the tourism industry.
We are following the communication of authorities and we inform about the development of the situation. The restrictions and guidelines that are valid at the moment and the ones starting from the 8th of March concern the restaurant industry and public gatherings.
The current situation in the Inari-Saariselkä travel area is very calm and the travellers use masks, follow guidelines and safety distances very well.
Public gatherings of over 6 persons are forbidden from 2.3.2021 till 11.4.2021 in the Hospital district of Lapland.
Restaurants will sell food according to the law and new restrictions starting from 8.3.2021 onwards. Take away is available around the travel area. Restaurants are allowed to open from 29th of March onwards.
The new restrictions do not concern ski resort operations and the slopes are open normally until 2.5.2021
Ski tracks and winter trails are maintained and open normally until 1.5.2021
Possible exposures in Saariselkä area
- Family who tested positive after their holiday has visited the following places during their holiday:
- Saariselkä Ski rental building 17.3. around 10.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. as well as 19.3. around 10.30 a.m. and 3.00-5.00 p.m.
- K-Market Kuukkeli 17.3.-21.3. several times
- K-Market Kuukkeli bike rental 18.3. at 10.00 a.m. and 3.00 p.m.
- Airport bus from Saariselkä to Ivalo airport 21.3. at 6.45 p.m.
- Flight Ivalo-Hki 21.3.2021 at 8.40 p.m.
- Stay at Santa’s Hotel Tunturi 20.-21.3.2021
- Saariselkä Ski & Sport Resort 13.3. around 4 p.m. (rental building )
- Saariselkä Kuukkeli 13.3. around 5 p.m.
- Saariselkä Top Safaris, 25.2. between 3.30 p.m.- 3.45 p.m.
- Saariselkä Ski & Sport Resort 26.2. between 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saariselkä Ski & Sport Resort (Lieggá Láávu restaurant) 26.2. between 12.00 p.m. – 12.15 p.m.
- Restaurant Kaunispään Huippu 3.3. between 3 p.m. – 4.30 p.m. and 4.3. between 11.00 a.m. – 2.00 p.m.
- 28.2.-5.3.2021 there has been a group of students which most have tested positive for Covid-19 after their stay. Students have visited local stores and possibly restaurants.
Possible exposures in Ivalo area
- S-market Ivalo 12.3. afternoon between 2 p.m. – 2.30 p.m.
- Ivalo Aurora Village, reindeer fence 13.3. around 10.30 a.m.
Possible exposures in Inari area
- Papana Bar 7.3. between 11.00 a.m.- 6.00 p.m.
Employers and employees are recommended to take Covid-19 test to health care centre of Ivalo in case of any symptoms.
If you suspect you have been infected
Do not leave your accommodation, stay in! This way you prevent spreading the virus.
Book an appointment to be tested from the health care center of Ivalo. You can book a time by calling +358 40 188 7400 on week days from 8.15 till 10.00 and from 13.00 till 14.00.
The symptoms of the virus can be:
runny nose, cough, fever, unease of breathing
muscle ache and tiredness
nausea and diarrhea
missing the sense of smell and taste
We expect responsibility from everyone in the area to make sure that everyone has an equal possibility to enjoy a health safe holiday.
Directions for travellers
Only do business when healthy
Go and have a test if you suspect you have been infected
Use mask indoors
Clean hands: Use hand sanitizer and wash them
Keep a safety distance of 2 meters
Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing
Download the corona flasher application
Opening hours of services
Most of the services in the travel area are open. Check the opening hours for each service from their website.
Accommodation – by zooming the map or filtering by your destination you are able to see the operators in the area.
Restaurants – Filter by location
Activities – Here you can see the available activities
In addition ask for equipment transport straight to your accommodation without any contact necessary.
25.2. given restrictions do not affect ski centre opening times.
Saariselkä Ski & Sport Resort serves customers according to opening times. Health safety has been highlighted. Use lifts only with your family members or party. Customer seats at the rental have been reduced. Always use a mask when indoors and hand sanitizer is available at multiple points. See up to date opening hours and slope info. More info about skiing and Covid-19 safety.
Cross country skiing & Open Fell Biking
25.2. given restrictions do not affect the maintenance of skiing tracks or winter trails. 200 km of skiing tracks and over 80 km of winter trails are open as normal. You can see the tracks and maintenance here. From the map you can follow the maintenance of skiing tracks on real time.
Rest points and wilderness cafés
All rest points (huts, kota huts, teepees) and wilderness cafés are open as normal until further notice.
- Keep distance from others – at least 2 metres. Maintain good hand hygiene. Always follow the instructions from the public health authorities.
- Think about which locations tend to get crowded, and choose less-busy alternatives.
- Bring lunch and snacks that do not require preparing or cooking on a fire. Designated campfire and picnic sites can get very crowded. Or buy a take-away picnic meal from a tourism entrepreneur who has a meal or café service adjacent to your nature destination.
- If you are planning to stay overnight, it is a good idea to bring your own shelter. Sufficient safety distances cannot always be guaranteed in huts and lean-to shelters.
Gold Museum, Tankavaara – Museum is open until further notice from Monday till Friday from 10 a.m. till 4 p.m. Closed on weekends and holidays. Outdoor trail is closed due to ice issue. Entrance to museum from the south side parking space.
Siida – Sámi Museum, Nature Centre and restaurant Sarrit, Inari – Siida is open as normal. In addition to main exhibitions there are seasonal exhibits to be experienced. We recommend to wear a mask indoors and keep a safety distance to others. Restaurant Sarrit works as a take away restaurant from 8th of March onwards. Lunch is sold from a buffet and guests can collect their meal according to liking. Every morning there are fresh donuts and coffee to buy as well. https://siida.fi/en/
Joiku-Kotsamo Safaris, Saariselkä – We organize reindeer and snowmobile safaris and visits to Joiku Kota, reindeer farm. Acknowledging the restrictions and guidelines we take 2 to 5 persons per group. Book your services from our online shop at least a day before departure. In last minute bookings we ask you to call our office directly. tel. 0400 138 911. We can pick you up from Saariselkä area without any extra fee. To our online store: https://www.joikukotsamo.fi/safarit/
Tourist informations in the area
From the tourist information points you get information about all the services in the area as well as about the national parks and wilderness areas. Below you can find the contact information to each point in the area.
Tourist information, Saariselkä: Lutontie 16, 99830, Saariselkä Tel.+358 40 168 7838 email@example.com
Tourist information, Ivalo: Ivalontie 10, 99800, Ivalo Tel. +358 40 168 9668 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tourist information, Inari: Inarintie 46, 99870, Inari Tel.+358 40 168 9668 email@example.com
That’s what we do in the Inari-Saariselkä Region – in accordance with the health and safety guidelines of the tourism and restaurant industry for Lapland area.
The guidelines apply to the activities of the tourism and restaurant industry in the region in regards the international and domestic tourism as well as the local population.