The Ivalojoki gold rush began in 1869. In 1870, the Finnish authorities commissioned the Kruunun Stationi base to monitor and manage gold mining operations. Kruunun Stationi was responsible for inspecting all the gold mining permits, weighing any mined gold and collecting taxes accordingly. The peak of activity at the base took place between 1870-1890 with 38 miners accommodated on the site.
In addition to the original building, the site houses the original sauna building beside the river and a storage barn. A bakery and servants’ quarters were also built according to the original blueprints. Kultala also features a rental lodge, which was built in 1996.
Kultala Gold Village of River Ivalojoki is accessible via a signposted footpath or by canoe. The path to Kultala at Lemmenjoki begins at a forest path near the Pahaoja lodge. To get to Pahaoja, take road number 4 from Laanila, head towards Kuttura for around 15 km and turn right at the kiosk on the Sotajoentie road. Drive on for around 8 km and turn left to Pahaoja.
Get to know: